Monday, January 14, 2008

Lessons



((A Cardboard box similar to the one we destroyed))
World lit is the strangest class I have ever had, but also one of the most intriguing and fun. On the second day of class it became more than just an English class for me. I remember that after we all played the name game, we each told the most stressful moment of our weekends. This therapy-like session was in itself unique enough, but shockingly we were then instructed to take out our frustrations on a box as Bump filmed. My weekend had been particularly stressful and depressing so I was not animated in kicking the box, and I remember everyone laughed. But the laughs were not mean laughs, just friendly. Those first couple days of class started something that I would call life changing: the unity that Bump teaches extended to our class, and its through the connections and the unique exercises in and out of class that I have learned about myself.

((Our diverse class))
Initially I was intrigued with all the diversity of our backgrounds. But with the thought provoking assignments and activities we all participated in, I felt like all our different personalities meshed. Eventually World Lit became not only the strangest but also one of the classes in which I feel the most comfortable. This comfortableness has made me realize that in most life situations, one must only reach out to create understanding with people around you. I think I can make my life much easier by mimicking the sense of community that Professor Bump has created.

((Professor Bump’s Ranch))
I also have been in awe of Bump’s lifestyle. One day I realized that our Professor lives out on a ranch and comes in to teach whimsical classes only twice a week. All the meditation and exploration of the various cultures has changed my perspective on what my life can be like as an adult.

On a side note, I had a similar experience to Charlotte's when I went to talk to Dr. Laude for the same class she writes about. When I stated the topic of my Second Inquiry, Laude knew exactly what I was talking about. Apparently my paper (written on a scientific experiment I performed), stood out as a “Plan II Paper.” He claimed that my writing was all over the place in an interesting and discovery learning way. He instantly remembered my writing in this positive way thanks to all the connections I made and ideas I presented. I contribute this form of writing by making connections to many topics to the World Lit class. Thus, World Lit has definitely contributed to my exploration through writing.

No comments: